This healthy broccoli and wild rice salad is a hearty winter meal full of goodness. It makes an ideal vegetarian lunch idea and is perfect for meal prep.
Ahhh salads. Does any other food have the potential to be so bad and so good depending on what you put in it?
Some salads just make me want to go to sleep they’re so boring but not this winter broccoli and wild rice salad…ohhhh no.
I’m so excited to be sharing this salad with you! I think it’s fair to say that Will and I are not usually the salad in winter type of people. I mean I’m normally allll about the vegetable stew with polenta and the creamy mushroom pasta as soon as the weather gets colder.
But somehow this broccoli and wild rice salad is totally filling enough for a winter dinner. The broccoli and kale is tasty and full of goodness while the wild rice and chickpeas make this salad extra filling which I just love.
The whole thing is topped with a yummy dressing made with garlic, ginger, lemon juice and honey. Oh and some pine nuts for a little added crunch!
Winter Broccoli & Wild Rice Salad Ingredients:
- Broccoli: Cut into florets and cooked. I like to steam or boil it but you could microwave it if you prefer
- Kale: Chopped and stems removed
- Wild Rice: To make it really easy I used a pouch of ready cooked wild rice but if you prefer then cook your own
- Dressing: This dressing is super yummy, it’s made with olive oil, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, lemon juice and honey whisked together just before serving
- Herbs: I tossed some fresh mint and parsley in there just before serving and it gave such a fresh flavour
Winter Broccoli & Wild Rice Salad Instructions:
- Mix the salad ingredients: Toss together the broccoli, kale, chickpeas, wild rice, mint and parsley.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together the olive oil, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, lemon juice and honey.
- Finish the salad: Pour the dressing over the salad and serve topped with a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Winter Broccoli & Wild Rice Salad Variations:
There are so many different things you can do with this salad!
- Use different veg: I love the broccoli and kale in this salad because they add that hearty crunch and plenty of nourishment but you could definitely try adding other vegetables. Red pepper would add a splash of colour or raw spinach would be yummy too
- Consider the season: Not only do I love broccoli and kale in this salad but they’re also perfect for a winter salad because that’s when they’re in season. If you fancy this wild rice salad in the warmer months then try switching for seasonal ingredients
- Add different herbs: If you’re not a fan of mint or parsley then switch them for something else. Coriander (cilantro) would be delicious or even basil or dill
- Add some protein: If you want to bulk this salad out a little bit more then try throwing in some cooked chicken or tofu
How long does rice salad last?
This cold rice salad will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days so it’s perfect for meal prep. Just make sure to refrigerate it straight after making it.
Is rice salad healthy?
This rice salad is super light and healthy with plenty of goodness from the vegetables. Broccoli and kale are both amazing sources of vitamins and minerals to help keep any nasty bugs at bay over the winter season.
Is rice salad gluten free?
Yes! This wild rice salad is naturally gluten free.
Can rice salad be made a day ahead?
This salad is perfect for making ahead, it could even be prepped in advance to be served as part of your Christmas celebrations or just made for weekday lunches.
Make sure you pin this recipe for later!
Want more? Try these other salad recipes!
- Apple Walnut Salad with Kale
- Halloumi Salad with Kale & Tahini
- Warm Lentil Salad with Butternut Squash
- Sweet Potato & Quinoa Salad with Sesame Dressing
- Coconut Curry Kale Salad
- Baked Halloumi with Winter Panzanella
Or grab these chickpea recipes!
WONDERING WHAT TO DO WITH THE LEFTOVER INGREDIENTS YOU’VE GOT FROM MAKING THIS WINTER BROCCOLI & WILD RICE SALAD?
If you’re anything like me then you’re always looking for ways to save money and avoid food waste so I want to make sure you’ve get plenty of ideas on how to use up any ingredients that are leftover from my recipes!
Leftover kale is perfect in this kale pasta recipe
Sprinkle leftover pine nuts over this delicious beetroot salad
Winter Broccoli & Wild Rice Salad with Chickpeas
- 1 head of Broccoli cut into florets
- 100 g Kale chopped
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp Ginger minced
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 400g tin Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 200 g Wild Rice cooked
- 50 g Pine Nuts toasted
- Small bunch Fresh Mint chopped
- Small bunch Fresh Parsley chopped
- Sesame Seeds to serve
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and cook the broccoli for 5 minutes adding the kale for the last minute of cooking. Drain and leave to cool. Add the broccoli, kale, chickpeas, wild rice, mint, parsley and pine nuts to a large bowl.
- Whisk together the olive oil, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, lemon juice and honey and pour over the salad. Leave to sit for 10 minutes. Serve topped with a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!