This easy sesame tofu with soy marinade is so crispy and it's perfect for dipping in your favourite hot sauce. Serve with rice for a delicious vegetarian dinner.
Crispy tofu is just such a dream ✨
I love how crispy and amazing this tofu turned out. I used a combination of sesame seeds and panko breadcrumbs to make it extra crunchy and tasty.
It's so good that you can serve it really simply. I had it with rice, sriracha and soy sauce plus a sprinkling of spring onions but it would be great in sandwiches or in salads or any other way you can think of to serve it.
I know tofu gets a bad wrap for being bland sometimes but it really just needs a bit of love and attention. Whether it's tofu tacos, tofu curry or a tofu sandwich the key is getting it good and crispy and adding bags of extra flavour.
Why we love this recipe...
It's super crispy thanks to the sesame seed and panko coating then being fried in a little oil until the outside is browned all over.
This is a super versatile vegetarian recipe which can be served with rice or in pretty much any other way...I think it needs to go in a burger next.
It has an amazing flavour from the delicious soy and sesame marinade which you pour over the tofu before coating in the breadcrumbs.
This section is here to provide further tips and ideas for alternative ingredients. The full recipe and instructions are included in the recipe card at the bottom of the post!
Tofu: Make sure you get firm tofu and press well before using
Marinade: Made from a mixture of sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger and chilli flakes
Flour & Cornflour: To coat the tofu
Egg: Whisked with a little water to get the crispy coating to stick
Sesame Seeds & Panko: To coat the tofu and get that amazing crispy outside
How to make it
Marinate the tofu: Press the tofu then whisk together all the marinade ingredients and pour over the tofu.
Crumb the tofu: Slice the tofu and dip each one first in the flour, then the egg and then the panko and sesame seeds.
Fry: Fry the slices in a little hot oil until browned on all sides then drain on kitchen paper.
Try these other tofu recipes!
- Crispy Baked Almond Crusted Tofu Sticks
- Korean Baked Tofu Rice Bowls
- Vegetarian Dan Dan Noodles with Tofu & Shitakes
- Spicy Rice Bowls with Korean Marinated Tofu
- Maple Soy Glazed Tofu
- Crispy Fried Salt and Pepper Tofu
- Spicy Noodles with Crispy Tofu
Sesame Tofu with Soy Marinade
- 400 g Tofu drained and pressed
- 2 tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 2 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Ginger grated
- ¼ teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- 2 tablespoon Flour
- 2 tablespoon Cornflour
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Water
- 70 g Sesame Seeds
- 2 tablespoon Panko
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- Spring Onions, Rice and Soy Sauce to serve
- Press the tofu for at least 10 minutes. Whisk together the sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger and chilli flakes. Place the pressed tofu in a bowl and pour over the marinade, set aside while you prep the other ingredients.
- Mix the flour and cornflour together on a plate. On another mix the panko and sesame seeds. Whisk the eggs in a bowl with the water. Remove the tofu from the marinade and slice. Toss each slice of tofu in the flour followed by the egg followed by the panko and sesame.
- Heat the vegetable oil over a medium high heat. Add the tofu and fry until browned on all sides. Place on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Serve with rice, soy sauce and sliced spring onions.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!