These aubergine and halloumi bowls are packed with smoky grilled eggplant, fried halloumi, creamy hummus and tangy pickled red onions. Serve with fresh bread for a tasty summer lunch or dinner.
Healthy summer goodness!
These hummus bowls are pretty much my dream summer dinner. They're so packed full of fresh and healthy flavours like the smoky aubergine, crispy halloumi and tangy pickled onions.
You can top them with anything else you like but I love adding something herby and something tangy or briney which helps to cut through the creaminess of the hummus.
Will made Turkish bread (pide ekmek) to serve with this recipe which was beautifully light and fluffy but pitta or flatbread would work just as well. As long as you've got a vehicle to scoop up all of this deliciousness.
Why we love these smoky aubergine and halloumi bowls...
They're a great vegetarian meal which works for lunch or dinner and you can even leave off the halloumi (or replace it with a vegan cheese) to make them vegan.
These bowls are so quick to make especially if you use store bought hummus. Then it's simply a case of roasting the aubergine, frying the halloumi and assembling!
This is a healthy recipe which is packed full of goodness from the aubergine and hummus.
You can also make this recipe ahead of time so you could make it for work lunches throughout the week.
Finally, you can easily change up the recipe according to your preferences by adding different vegetables or any other toppings you like.
Vegetarian Hummus Bowls Ingredients
Aubergine: This is roasted over the flame of the stove or in the oven until the flesh is super soft and smoky.
Halloumi: This is fried until crisp and browned on both sides.
Hummus: I love to make homemade hummus if I have time, I normally follow this recipe from Ottolenghi. Otherwise store bought hummus will work just as well.
Toppings: Pickled red onions, chopped parsley and garlic oil all taste amazing but you can really go wild and add whatever you fancy!
How to make halloumi and aubergine bowls
Cook the aubergine: Heat the oven. Use tongs to hold the whole aubergine over the open flame of the stove until charred and blackened on all sides. Place on a baking sheet and cook for 20 minutes until softened all the way through.
Fry the halloumi: While the aubergine cooks fry the halloumi in a frying pan over a medium high heat until browned on both sides.
Assemble the bowls: Spread a couple of spoonfuls of hummus in the bottom of a bowl. Peel the blackened skin from the aubergine and pull shreds of the aubergine flesh apart with forks and place on top of the hummus. Add halloumi slices and your choice of toppings.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
Want more? Try these other halloumi recipes!
- Roast Vegetable Salad with Halloumi
- Halloumi Pasta with Tahini Dressing
- Grilled Halloumi Skewers with Satay Sauce
- Halloumi, Kale & White Bean Bake
- Spicy Halloumi Curry with Potato
- Healthy Halloumi Bake with Aubergine
- Beet Halloumi Quinoa Bowl
Smoky Aubergine and Halloumi Bowls
- 1 Aubergine
- 200 g Halloumi sliced
- 200 g Hummus store bought or homemade
- Pickled Red Onions to serve
- Parsley chopped, to serve
- Garlic Oil to serve
- Pitta or Flatbread to serve
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F. If you have a gas hob use tongs to hold the aubergine over the flame and turn every couple of minutes until the skin is blackened then place on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 20 minutes. If you don't have a gas hob then just put the aubergine in the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes until soft all the way through.
- While the aubergine roasts heat a frying pan over a medium high heat and fry the halloumi on both sides until browned and crispy.
- Spread the hummus in the bottom of 2-3 bowls. Remove the blackened skin from the aubergine and use forks to pull apart the flesh and split between the bowls. Add the halloumi and any toppings you like. Serve with fresh bread of your choice.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!