This sheet pan harissa chicken is so easy to make. With a hint of spice and a cooling garlic yoghurt on top this Moroccan inspired chicken will make your mid-week dinner a breeze.
This is one of those insanely easy meals which tastes like it should have taken hours. Harissa is the perfect spice for this kind of cooking because it’s got so much depth of flavour and tastes super impressive without much work.
I’ve used harissa for a couple of recipes on the blog but, let’s be honest, not nearly enough. If you’re in the market for some more recipes to use this amazing spicy sauce then try out this harissa halloumi salad with couscous or these harissa falafel!
Things have been a little quiet around here recently. I’ve just got back from a week away with my family. It kicked off with celebrating my 27th birthday and then was a week of relaxing and hanging out with my parents, sisters and brothers-in-law and nieces and nephew.
It was a really lovely week and I’m really not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow! It’s going to be hard to get used to being back in the office and I need my evening meals to be super quick and easy again so traybake recipes are where it’s at!
Tonight I’m making a vegetarian version of this one pot lasagne (which will be up on the blog soon!) and this week I’ll definitely be making this sheet pan harissa chicken again!
Why we love this harissa chicken:
- Let’s be honest one pot and sheet pan recipes are where it’s at. They’re quick, easy and flavourful and once they’re in the oven you can get on with relaxing and waiting for your delicious dinner to be ready
- The harissa in this recipe lends the perfect level of spice to the whole dish which keeps you coming back for more
- The combination of chicken and potatoes means that it’s a whole meal on one tray which keeps weeknight me very happy
- It’s also great for meal prep because you could chuck a pan of this in the oven on a Sunday and make 4 days worth of lunches or dinners to keep in your fridge and reheat when necessary
- Finally, it’s gluten free and dairy free (if you leave off the yoghurt) so it’s great for anyone with a dietary restriction
So let’s talk harissa for a second.
WHAT IS HARISSA?
Harissa is a spicy paste from North Africa and it’s used in all kinds of delicious dishes. I tend to use a store-bought version because you can get some really great ones quite easily. This is the harissa paste we tend to buy.
If you do want to have a go at making your own it’s not too difficult, there’s a great guide for how to make harissa paste over on Simply Delicious.
This whole meal only needs ten ingredients (including olive oil and salt & pepper!) for the chicken, potatoes and the yummy garlic yoghurt you need to drizzle on top and it’s one of my favourite healthy recipes.
That is my kind of weeknight cooking. It’s just so simple. If you wanted some green then you could easily add some broccoli or asparagus or whatever you fancied depending on the season to bulk it up a little bit and up the veg content.
If you picked wisely you could even add it to the same sheet pan!
For this I use bone in skin on chicken thighs because it helps to keep the chicken moist and they cook for the same amount of time as the potatoes which means there’s no need to add anything to the sheet pan during cooking.
You also get that incredible crispy chicken skin which is just unbeatable in my opinion.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS SPICY CHICKEN & POTATOES:
- Harissa – Feel free to make your own or if you want to buy it then this is the brand we use
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Chicken Thighs – I go for bone in skin on to get moist chicken and crispy skin 😍 but you could use chicken breasts if you prefer
- Potatoes – Use whatever type is your favourite and try and chop them into equal chunks so that they cook evenly
- Red Onions
- Greek Yoghurt – I always go for full fat but if you prefer a lighter yoghurt then it will still work just as well
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe…
HOW TO MAKE SHEET PAN HARISSA CHICKEN WITH POTATOES:
- Heat the oven and mix together the harissa, cumin, olive oil and salt and pepper then coat the chicken, potato and red onion with the mixture.
- Tip onto a sheet pan, spread into a single layer and bake for 40 minutes.
- Mix together the yoghurt, garlic and lemon and serve drizzled over the chicken.
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
Products from Amazon.co.uk
- Price: Check on Amazon
- H&S® Manual Lemon Squeezer - Heavy Duty - Juice Extractor Single Press Hand Lime Citrus Fruit JuicerPrice: £9.99Was: £29.99
- Price: £11.19Was: £13.94
Get the full printable recipe below!
Why this recipe works
This recipe uses just a handful of simple ingredients to make a really tasty dinner. You can control the level of spice in the dish by adjusting the amount of harissa paste you use and I add cumin to enhance the flavour of the harissa. The potatoes are cut to a uniform size so that everything cooks at the same time so there’s no need to take the pan in and out of the oven. For the spice there is in this dish it’s cooled down and balanced out by the use of a garlic yoghurt dip which compliments then chicken perfectly!
Is this chicken spicy?
Harissa can be pretty spicy so if you don’t like things super spicy then use slightly less or try out different brands to work out which one is your preferred level of spiciness. Alternatively you could make your own harissa from scratch then you can control how much chilli goes in there.
What to serve with this recipe?
The great thing about sheet pan recipes like this is that they’re a whole meal in themselves but if you need a little extra then a simple green salad or some vegetables would be great on the side.
Can you reheat this chicken?
You can definitely reheat this recipe. Store in an airtight container in the fridge and then reheat in the microwave until piping hot.
Is harissa healthy?
Harissa is very good for you and contains plenty of vitamins including E & C as well as boosting your metabolism.
Expert tips for making harissa chicken:
- If you prefer a milder flavour you could reduce the amount of harissa in the recipe or switch it for something else. Pesto or curry paste would also be delicious
- To meal prep this recipe simply make the chicken and potatoes then store in airtight containers in the fridge until ready to use. Store the sauce separately and serve alongside the chicken.
- If you want to reheat the recipe then you can do so in the microwave, just make sure it’s heated all the way through
Want more? Make sure you get all my other chicken recipes before you go or try some of the below recipes:
- Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
- One Pot Pasta with Chicken, Spinach & Mushroom
- Chicken Biryani
- Chipotle Chicken Salad
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Tenders
- Pressure Cooker Chicken Casserole with Kale & White Beans
Sheet Pan Harissa Chicken and Potatoes
- 3 tbsp Harissa
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 5 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 Chicken Thighs bone in, skin on
- 800 g Potatoes peeled and chopped into cubes
- 2 Red Onions chopped into chunks
- 100 ml Greek Yoghurt
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
- 1/2 Lemon
- Heat the oven to 220°C/425°F. In a large bowl mix together harissa, olive oil, cumin and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Add the potato, chicken and red onion and toss everything together until coated.
- Spread the chicken, potatoes and red onion out in a single layer on a baking tray. Place in the oven and cook for 40 minutes. Serve with a slice of fresh lemon for squeezing and the garlic yoghurt.
To Make the Garlic Yoghurt
- Mix together the yoghurt, garlic and juice of half a lemon and season to taste.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!