This simple chopped salad is packed with smoky grilled halloumi, lettuce, red onion and tomato. It's a great lunch or light dinner recipe.
This is the salad I'm going to be eating all summer long. It's great for a simple work from home lunch, a picnic meal or a light dinner. It can be prepped ahead of time and kept in the fridge to eat throughout the week.
I love creating fun and interesting salad recipes in the summertime. I'm usually more of a cheese and carbs person so salads need to be packed full of tasty ingredients to keep me wanting more.
This section is here to provide further tips and ideas for alternative ingredients. The full recipe and instructions are included in the recipe card at the bottom of the post!
- Halloumi - This is cubed and tossed in smoked paprika before being placed under the grill to get browned and crispy
- Glaze - Once the halloumi has been partly cooked it's brushed with a mixture of honey, dijon and vinegar for maximum flavour
- Salad - I went with lettuce, tomatoes and red onion but you could add in any other salad ingredients you fancy
- Honey Mustard Dressing - This is a combination of cider vinegar, honey, dijon mustard, garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
Cook the halloumi: Toss the halloumi cubes with smoked paprika and seasoning and spread on a baking sheet. Place under the grill for 10 minutes then brush with the glaze and cook for another couple of minutes.
Make the dressing: Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients apart from the olive oil. While whisking stream in the oil.
Assemble the salad: Put all of the salad ingredients in a bowl, drizzle over half the dressing and toss well. Serve with the rest of the dressing.
Hint: this salad dressing is perfect for keeping in the fridge for any quick salads you want to throw together during the week. Try making a double batch so you've always got a delicious homemade salad dressing ready to go.
- Lettuce - I haven't specified what type of lettuce to use here because anything crunchy that can be chopped will work. Try iceberg or romaine.
- Halloumi - the glazed halloumi can be replaced with chicken if you'd prefer
- Vegan - to make this recipe vegan you could switch the halloumi for cubed tofu
- Spices - I like to toss the halloumi in smoked paprika before cooking but you could use pretty much any spice you like to change up the flavour profile of the salad
- Spicy - add a pinch of chilli flakes to the dressing or to the halloumi glaze to give the salad a kic
If you want something even spicier then try out this harissa halloumi salad!
Store this salad in sealed containers in the fridge for up to 4 days. Store any extra dressing in a sealed jar for up to a month.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Make sure you taste the dressing and adjust the balance of flavour to make sure it isn't too sweet/salty/sour. This will depend on the specific ingredients you're using so taste and adjust until you get it to your liking.
Want more? Try these other salad recipes!
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad with Sesame Dressing
- 15 Minute Noodle Salad with Peanut Sesame Dressing
- Summer Pearl Barley Salad with Feta
- Butternut Squash Salad with Wild Rice
- Cauliflower Salad with Hummus
- Bibim Guksu (Korean Cold Noodle Salad)
Chopped Salad with Halloumi & Honey Mustard Dressing
- 500 g Halloumi cubed
- Salt and Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 3 tablespoon Honey
- 2 teaspoon Cider Vinegar
- 2 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 600 g Lettuce chopped
- 100 g Cherry Tomatoes chopped
- ½ Red Onion chopped
- 3 tablespoon Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- Salt and Pepper
- 120 ml Olive Oil
- Heat the grill to medium. Toss the halloumi with the smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Spread on a foiled baking sheet and put under the grill for 5 minutes then flip and grill for 5 minutes on the other side. Whisk together the honey, vinegar and mustard, brush onto the halloumi and grill for another 2 minutes.
- Put the lettuce, radishes, cherry tomatoes, red onion and halloumi in a bowl and toss together. Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients apart from the olive oil. Stream in the olive oil while whisking. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, toss and serve.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!