This oven roasted aubergine is topped with mozzarella and fresh breadcrumbs and cooked in a rich cherry tomato sauce. This is such an easy weeknight dinner which is guaranteed to impress!
Cheesy, crunchy, herby, tomatoey deliciousness right here and I am INTO IT.
We're currently in a heatwave in London and if you are too I can understand why you might be hesitant about something hot and cheesy like this but I promise it is so super easy!
There's no making the sauce beforehand, just chuck everything into a baking dish and pop it in the oven. Once the aubergines have got really soft you top them with plenty of cheese and herby breadcrumbs and return to the oven until it's melty and crunchy and delicious.
That's literally it. Yes you have to have your oven on but you don't need to be in the room for most of the cooking time so I promise you won't even mind. Plus it is totally worth it.
Why we love this cheesy roasted aubergine...
It's so easy to make with no need to make the sauce separately or use extra pans. Everything cooks right there in one baking dish and most of the cooking time is hands off.
It's packed with flavour from the rich cherry tomato sauce and herby breadcrumbs so it can serve as your whole meal or you can have it with some garlic bread like we did or a simple green salad.
This makes a brilliant vegetarian main dish thanks to the meatiness of the aubergine and the melty cheese on top it's even going to please meat eaters at your next dinner party!
You can also easily make this recipe gluten free by switching to gluten free breadcrumbs or leaving them out altogether.
This also makes great leftovers which can easily be reheated or eaten cold.
Baked Cheesy Aubergine Ingredients
Tinned Cherry Tomatoes: These are a recent discovery of mine and I find the much sweeter than regular tinned tomatoes. However, if you can't get hold of them it's fine to use two tins of tinned chopped tomatoes.
Brown Sugar: This gives the sauce a lovely sweetness which you need to counteract the cheesiness on the aubergine.
Aubergines: These are sliced in half lengthways and then scored before roasting.
Fresh Breadcrumbs: I like to blitz some stale bread in the food processor for this but if you don't have any to hand you could use store bought breadcrumbs or panko instead.
Thyme: The thyme leaves tossed with the breadcrumbs add a lovely herby flavour to the final dish. Switch for another herb if you prefer, rosemary or parsley would be delicious.
Mozzarella: Gives that amazing cheesy topping!
Scroll down to the bottom of this post for the full method and quantities!
How to make cheesy aubergine bake
Roast the aubergines: Put the tomatoes, sugar, seasoning and halved aubergines in a baking dish. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with plenty of salt. Roast for 30 minutes.
Add the cheese: Mix the breadcrumbs with the garlic and thyme. Add the sliced mozzarella and breadcrumbs to the aubergine. Increase the heat on the oven and cook for another 15 minutes until browned.
Equipment you need to make this recipe...
Want more? Try these other aubergine recipes!
- Smoky Aubergine and Halloumi Bowls
- Stir Fried Aubergine with Chilli
- Aubergine Pasta Bake with Balsamic Tomato Sauce
- Vegetarian Quesadilla with Chipotle Aubergine
- Harissa Chickpea Stew with Aubergine
- Healthy Halloumi Bake with Aubergine
- Aubergine Parmigiana with Panko
- Aubergine and Red Lentil Curry
Cheesy Roasted Aubergine with Breadcrumbs
- 2 400g tins Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 Aubergines halved lengthways and flesh scored in a criss-cross pattern
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 70 g Fresh Breadcrumbs
- 1 clove Garlic crushed
- Handful Thyme Sprigs leaves removed
- 150 g Mozzarella sliced
- Heat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Put the tomatoes, sugar, plenty of salt and pepper in a deep baking dish and stir to combine. Put the aubergine on top of the sauce with the cut side up and drizzle with the oil. Put in the oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- While the aubergine cooks mix the breadcrumbs, garlic and thyme in a bowl and season well. Top the aubergine with the mozzarella slices followed by the breadcrumb mixture. Turn the oven up to 220°C/430°F and bake for another 15 minutes.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!