Fancy Mexican food without the meat? Then these veggie fajitas are just what you need. They're quick and easy to make and use simple store cupboard ingredients so you can have a healthy Mexican dinner any night of the week!
Mexican food lends itself so well to being vegetarian, don't you think? It's got so much flavour that meat becomes kind of a secondary character to all those incredible spices.
Are you freaking out as much as I am that it's nearly June already? I think because winter lasted so long this year it feels unbelievable that we're nearly at peak summer. I'm really excited for June to start, it's my birthday (ahhh 27 😱) and we're going away with my family which means relaxing, blogging, eating and baby cuddles for a whole week. I can't wait!
The rest of the summer I'm planning on drinking in lots of beer gardens, eating out at every opportunity and cooking quick, healthy meals to give me time to enjoy the sunshine.
And one of those quick healthy meals will definitely be these vegetarian fajitas. We cook fajitas quite a lot but I don't often blog them because I HATE photographing things in wraps.
I don't know why but I always struggle so much with it. I was even considering not sharing this recipe because I didn't love the photos but I decided to just go for it in the end because this recipe needs to be shared with the world!
Any time I can make a healthy Mexican dinner I am allllll over it because that makes my weeknight dinners a winner all round.
Why we love these vegetarian fajitas:
- It's always so nice to have a quick and healthy vegetarian dinner recipe on hand for busy weeknights
- These fajitas are so easy to make
- They're also vegan as long as you don't serve them with any cheese or sour cream!
- And they're gluten free if you serve them with corn tortillas rather than flour ones
Ingredients you need to make these veggie fajitas:
- Brown Sugar
- Red Pepper
- Chopped Tomatoes
- Tomato Puree
- Cumin - All of the spices in these fajitas can be used to make this chilli con carne or this chipotle chicken tacos
- Cayenne Pepper
- Ground Coriander
- Dried Oregano
- Chipotle Paste
- Black Beans
- Kidney Beans
Keep scrolling to get the full recipe for these veggie fajitas with beans and peppers...
This fajita filling starts off with onions fried with a little brown sugar until they're soft and caramelised. This step takes a few extra minutes but is so worth it to add an amazing sweetness to the final dish which balances out the spiciness.
Then it's just a simple case of adding garlic, chilli and red pepper to fry off for a couple of minutes followed by chopped tomatoes, plenty of spices and a couple of tins of beans.
Once the sauce has cooked down it gets thick and luscious and perfect for wrapping up with all your favourite toppings in a tortilla (flour or corn tortillas would both work).
Speaking of, what toppings do you like on your Mexican dishes? Personally I cannot get enough of sour cream but I know some people can't stand it.
We also always add plenty of cheddar cheese because what is the point in making something healthy if you can't ruin it with cheese? Although feel free to hold the sour cream and cheese to keep these fajitas vegan.
And obviously we always have avocados in the flat because Will likes them (even though I can't bring myself to eat them) so feel free to add some of those.
How to Make Veggie Fajitas - Step by Step:
- Caramelise your onions - Gently fry your onions in a little olive oil and a teaspoon of brown sugar.
- Add the garlic, chilli and red pepper - Allow to cook until everything is softened.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes - Bring to a simmer then add the tomato puree, spices and chipotle paste.
- Cook until thickened then add the beans - simmer for 5 minutes then serve with wraps and all your favourite toppings!
Equipment you need to make this recipe…
[amazon_link asins='B01CUJOZ5O,B00GMMA7LC,B077SRHSSJ' template='ProductCarousel' store='thecoorep-21' marketplace='UK' link_id='d34288c3-5e8e-11e8-a971-47680f24c107']
Are vegetarian fajitas healthy?
These vegetarian fajitas are a delicious healthy dinner! The combo of beans and spices and bell peppers is perfect for a light and healthy weeknight recipe.
Expert tips for making vegetable fajitas
You can add any extra veggies you like depending on what you like and have on hand
To make these gluten free then use corn tortillas instead of flour ones
If you like these extra spicy just up the amount of cayenne and chipotle paste
If you love vegetarian food as much as I do then head over to my vegetarian recipes section for loads more ideas or try out some of our favourites below:
- Pulled Jackfruit Sandwiches with BBQ Sauce
- Tofu and Veggie Coconut Noodle Curry
- Cauliflower Fritters with Tahini Yoghurt Dip
- Lemon Roasted Radishes with Fresh Dill
- Breakfast Skillet with Spicy Beans
- Vegetarian Spaghetti Bolognese with Mushrooms
Veggie Fajitas with Beans and Peppers
- 1 medium Onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Chilli deseeded and chopped
- 1 Red Pepper deseeded and sliced
- 1 400g tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Puree
- 1 tablespoon Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle Paste
- 1 400g tin Black Beans drained
- 1 400g tin Kidney Beans drained
- Heat the olive oil on low and add the onion. Fry until translucent then add the brown sugar and fry for another 3 minutes. Add the garlic and fry until fragrant then add the chilli and pepper and fry until soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and bring to a simmer before adding the tomato puree. Add all the spices and the chipotle paste. Cook the sauce for about 10 minutes until thickened then add the beans and simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve with wraps and all your favourite toppings.
Like the look of this recipe? Make sure you pin it for later!